Newton Heath was formerly a farming area, but adopted the factory system following the Industrial Revolution. The principal industry in the area was engineering, although many were employed in the mining and textiles industries in the thriving areas of Clayton and Bradford. Newton Heath takes its name from Old English and means the ‘new town on the heath’. A very prosperous area when first built and it stretched from Miles Platting to Failsworth, and is bounded by brooks and rivers on all four sides — the River Medlock, Moston Brook, Newton Brook and Shooters Brook.
Newton Heath was home to a number of famous companies such as Mather & Platt, who established a vast engineering works producing pumps, electrical machinery and fire sprinkler systems. The aircraft manufacturer Avro was also based in Newton Heath before relocating to sites at Chadderton and Woodford. Another local engineering company was Heenan & Froude, who designed and manufactured the structural steelwork for Blackpool Tower.
The Wilson’s & Co brewery on Monsall Road was founded in 1834. The company merged with rival brewer Walker & Homfrays in 1949. Wilson’s and its estate of tied houses were acquired by Watney Mann in 1960. The Wilson’s brewery closed in 1987 when production was moved to Halifax.
A prominent landmarks was Philips Park which opened on 22 August 1846 at a cost of £6,200 and was the first public park opened in Manchester. The park, covering 31 acres (12 hectares), was named after Mark Philips MP who was committed to creating parks for the use of the working people of the city. I am afraid though to enjoy the park in 1946 you were surrounded by Industry. BIG industry.
The parish was the birthplace of the Newton Heath Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Football Club which was established in 1878 and later became Manchester United. It began life as a football team formed by Frederick Attock a Liverpudlian, who was a superintendent engineer of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (L&YR). The team played on a pitch at North Road, and were initially outfitted in green and gold jerseys. By 1892, they had been admitted to the Football League. The club remained in the area until 1893, when it moved to new premises at Bank Street in Clayton. The stadium had a capacity of around 50,000, but the club moved to Old Trafford in 1910 because club owner John Henry Davies believed he could not sufficiently expand the ground. The stadium was in poor repair towards the end of its life and, shortly after the club moved out to Old Trafford, the main stand at Bank Street blew down in a storm The name was changed to Manchester United Football Club in 1902.